How to apply whiteboard paint in a few simple steps
Whiteboard paint is transforming boring walls in offices, homes and schools into fun, creative and innovative spaces. And the best part? It’s easier to apply whiteboard paint than you think.
Whiteboard paint application involves just a few simple steps, takes less than two hours to paint and three days to use.
In fact, it’s so simple to apply dry-erase paint and discover the possibilities of writable walls that we’ve summarized the steps in this easy-to-read “how to apply whiteboard paint” blog.
Before you apply whiteboard paint
While waiting for the delivery of your new whiteboard paint, you can get a head start by carrying out a little prep work first.
There’s certain equipment that you need to apply whiteboard paint – some you might already have and others you can purchase as part of the ESCREO installation kit.
Included with your paint
- Paint tin opener
- Paint stirrer
Part of the ESCREO installation kit
- Paint tray
- Paint roller and brush
- Duct tape
Depending on the area being painted, you might also need:
- A protective cover for the floor
- Filler for any cracks, holes or scratches
- Eye protection
- A spirit level and pencil
- Old clothes and shoes (something you don’t mind getting dirty).
You can apply whiteboard paint on wall or any flat surface, including plaster, hardboard, wood, latex, glass, and metal.
To prepare the surface for applying whiteboard paint, simply:
- Check for and fill any holes, cracks or scratches in the surface
- Sand the surface down to make it smooth
- Clean the surface with an appropriate cleaning solution
- Apply a primer if you’re painting on anything other than interior paint
- Mark the paint zone using a spirit level and pencil
- Frame the paint zone using painter’s tape.
How to apply whiteboard paint
Now to the exciting part – how to apply whiteboard paint. Put on your painting clothes and gloves, and let’s get going.
1. Open the whiteboard paint
Use the paint tin opener to open the whiteboard paint and whiteboard hardener.
2. Mix and stir the paint
Pour the whiteboard hardener into the paint and mix together using the stirrer for five minutes. This ensures the paint and hardener are evenly distributed.
3. Pour the whiteboard paint
Pour half of the paint into the paint tray and replace the paint tin lid to prevent it from drying out.
4. Apply the first layer
Use the roller to apply the first coat of whiteboard paint to the surface. Spread the paint thinly and distribute well to ensure even coverage.
5. Wait for the first layer of paint to dry
Wait for at least 30-minutes and no longer than 45-minutes for the first coat of paint to dry.
6. Apply the second layer of whiteboard paint
Reopen the paint tin and apply the second coat of paint in the same way as the first coat.
7. Wrap up
Remove any painter’s tape and place the “wet paint” sign next to (not on!) the area painted. Wait three days for your paint to dry, and then replace the sign with the “write on me” sticker and start getting creative.
Bonus tip: How to look after whiteboard paint
No ‘how to apply whiteboard paint’ guide is complete without a section on how to look after your whiteboard paint.
Whiteboard paint is relatively low maintenance, and this applies to both our clear / transparent whiteboard paint and classic whiteboard paint versions of the paint, but there are things you can do to prolong the life and performance of your dry erase wall.
- Accessories: use either ESCREO or other high-quality whiteboard markers and accessories. These are formulated to protect your whiteboard paint and enhance performance.
- Erasing: erase dry-wipe markers using a soft foam sponge or microfiber cloth. You can use water if needed but avoid aggressive cleaning chemicals.
- Deep cleaning: use ESCREO cleaning spray and a microfiber cloth when you need a deeper clean. However, try to limit deep cleans to no more than twice per month and don’t write on the wall for at least an hour following.
- Creativity: no whiteboard paint wall wants to sit unloved and plain. Show your whiteboard paint some love by getting creative and sharing your designs with @ESCREO.
It’s easy to apply whiteboard paint when you know how.
We hope this seven-step guide on how to apply whiteboard paint gives you the confidence to transform your walls and unleash your creativity.